Saturday, October 10, 2009

Op-eds and columns in the WSJ and the NYT

As I get older (which, darnit, I appear to do with some regularity), I find myself looking forward to reading certain columnists: among others, Gretchen Morgenson, Joe Nocera (check out today's wonderful column, here), Floyd Norris, and Thomas Sowell (yes, Tom Sowell--so much for you tagging me as a liberal).

I've noticed, though, that I tend to read the NYT for its business news and the WSJ for its op-eds. It used to be the other way around. I'm not saying that I ignore the WSJ's business news--far from it--or that I never agree w/the NYT's op-eds.

Perhaps I'm just contrarian, and now that the Democrats are back in power, I like hearing what the other side has to say. But perhaps I fear groupthink on either side of the political spectrum. We've all seen what happens when a majority congratulates itself on its correct-thinking tendencies, without having some "loyal opposition" challenging whatever notions are popular.

My guess is that most of the country is solidly moderate, as I am. But who knows? I'll be watching the 2010 elections, knowing full well that, whatever happens, both sides will be reading the entrails for prophecies about what it all means.

No comments: